As I have already mentioned, the early stages of our new search for a called minister has just begun and the opportunity for your input on who should serve on the Ministerial Search Team is fast approaching. Please give some thought to the following questions:
- What are the qualities needed for someone to serve on the MST?
- Who in the congregation works well with others?
- Who can represent and serve the whole congregation (including looking out for the needs of children) and not just a piece of “faction” of the congregation? Who would have no “axe to grind”?
- Who knows the history and culture of the congregation, whether a member of long standing or relatively new?
- Who has been and/or is active in the congregation and has demonstrated both responsible participation and responsible leadership?
- After a high salary, the most attractive quality a congregation can have is self-awareness—awareness of strengths and weaknesses, what the congregation is like at its best and at its worst, as well as on an average day. Who would be able to know and relate all this to potential candidates?
- After thinking about all of these questions, who would you trust to serve on the Search Team on behalf of our congregation? We are looking for a single name you would recommend for this role and that name could be yours. If your partner is not available for the phone call, you may certainly pass on the name they would recommend as well.
The Discernment Team and the Board will be calling the entire congregation beginning in early February asking for the name you would like to nominate. However, if you would prefer to email your nominee’s name, please send it to MinisterSearchTeam@WSUU.org. Please include your name in the email so we know not to call you!
In loving community,
Patti McCall, Board President