Volunteering at Westside
There are many wonderful ways to connect at Westside. Below are just a few of the groups welcoming new members to share in their important work for our community.
Westside Plant & Garden Art Fair – Early May
A two-day WSUU fundraising event open to the general public, the Fair includes a plant & recycled tool sale, local artisans showing & selling their work, garden/nature related presentations by local non-profits, children’s activities, café, raffle, music & more. We need YOU to help . . .
• plan the event;
• procure & prepare plants and tools for sale;
• create garden-related items for sale;
• publicize the event (posters, website, signage, etc.);
• procure & interface with local artisans, musicians & community organizations;
• procure & prepare raffle items;
• prepare food for the café;
• staff the event (including set-up & tear down).
The Environmental Justice Group is always looking for people to get involved who are willing to testify at environmental hearings, go to rallies, write letters and editorials etc. and also to support groups like Plant for the Planet with planting trees and helping at the academies. There are so many ways to get involved. Learn more about the environmental justice group and contact Anne Miller.
Our landscape team welcomes anyone who enjoys time in the garden. Tasks include weeding, planting, pruning and watering. Contact Rose Sheppard
Ready to build new friendships? Fantasizing about some extra-marital repairs? Bring your handy follow-through to the Building Committee, for one project or many! Contact Soph Davenberry.
Greeters Committee: We greet people at the doors before the service and on special occasions, pass the donation basket during service, hand out programs and answer questions and help out new visitors. Greeters sign up for to work services that are convenient to their schedules, so a greeter can work every or an occasional service. Contact David Cycleback.
The Westside Music Ministry is a dynamic program and is in need of volunteer help. We have several teams that have openings. You need not be a musician to apply:
• Concert Team: organize and publicize a concert series including Westside ensemble concerts
• Worship Team: Assist Bert with worship music leadership and help develop other models of worship such as jazz vespers or chant services.
• Pie Sale Team: organize, publicize, and run pie sales and related fundraisers like the annual Olio Show.
• Communication Team: Keep the music ministry page on the web site current (photos, recordings, content) and create and maintain a trifold information board for coffee hours.
• Muscle Team: occasionally we need help schlepping stuff around.
For more information contact our music director, Bert Gulhaugen.
Adult Education Program – Common Quest
The Common Quest Team is seeking volunteers to help occasionally at the Common Quest table on Sundays during Social Hour to hand out brochures, sign up people who want to attend classes, and to consult with the Coordinator about possible new classes. Contact Theresa McCormick, Coordinator.
Join a dynamic team supporting newcomers as they transition from visitor to member and deepen their WSUU spiritual and community connections. Contact Laura H. White, Membership Committee Chair.
Do you understand (and like) debits and credits? Do you want to know where "all the money" comes from around here? Do you want to help guide Westside toward a flush financial future? Come join us on the Finance Committee! Meetings are the second Tuesdays of the month in the Administration Office at 7pm. Contact Michael Matz, Finance Committee Chair.