After almost two years of extraordinary volunteer leadership by our AV Tech Team, we are now hiring a Worship Technology Assistant to take on this essential work of ensuring that our services remain accessible to members and friends who aren’t able to be in the sanctuary. They’ll also take on some of the presentation and preparation tasks associated with worship which had been on the desks of other staff members. The job description is below and we encourage you to share it with your networks and help us find a great new member of our worship staff team.
Worship Technology Assistant
Reports to: Minister
Description: Production of graphics and livestream video during worship service, tech support of online coffee hour, and edited worship video.
Status: Part Time (5 hr/week equivalent), Permanent
FLSA: Employee, Non-exempt
Start Date: January 1, 2021 or sooner
Rate of Pay: $20/hr
Hours: Average 5 hours per week; Sundays require being in-person 9:00am to 12:00pm.
Vacation: Four five-hour weeks off annually, accrued according to personnel policies.
Contact: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Westside UU Congregation has recently returned to offering dynamic in-person services in our sanctuary while also streaming live to YouTube for those unable to be in the sanctuary. While we’ve been doing online services since the pandemic began, we are now in need of consistent, reliable support for this essential role, and so are seeking to add a staff member.
The Worship Technology Assistant runs the sanctuary presentation system and cameras, records and livestreams worship Sunday mornings, updates videos on YouTube, runs presentation software, and designs presentation slides as needed. Must work at the church Sunday mornings between 9:00am and 12:30pm (service is 10:30-11:45). The Worship Technology Assistant is also responsible for setting up, operating, testing, and troubleshooting video and display equipment as needed. The candidate must be able to work collaboratively with the audio technician and any congregational volunteers engaged in support roles.
- Produce and load relevant graphics (including hymn and song lyrics) into PowerPoint and OBS.
- Manage setting up cameras/cables each week and returning them to AV booth after service.
- Ensure service script has all required cues and notations for audio/video.
- Operate PowerPoint and streaming software during service.
- Ensure weekly worship service runs smoothly on YouTube.
- Manage the streaming software on Sunday mornings, including spotlighting speakers, sharing slides, audio and video.
- Create and manage break out rooms for virtual coffee hour immediately following service.
- Maintain and troubleshoot technical equipment necessary for the livestream including computer, cameras, switcher system, including testing all equipment. Communicate major changes or difficulties to the supervising minister.
- Participate in pre-service tech checks as scheduled to review order of service and tech cues with worship leaders
- Create or assemble slides and slide deck for each week.
- Edit the YouTube recording to remove ‘private’ elements.
- Stay informed on YouTube and Zoom updates and inform worship staff of how they may affect services.
- Maintain positive working relationship with staff and congregants.
- Adhere to staff covenant.
- Maintain manual and directions for operations, and train volunteers to cover for worship technology assistant absence.
- Proficient with software and online tools including Zoom, PowerPoint or Keynote, YouTube, GoogleDrive and live streaming.
- Ability to work independently and adapt to changes with low anxiety.
- Ability to work with presenters and congregation members to provide technical support and orientation.
General physical mobility. The AV booth where the role is performed is not an accessible space for those with mobility challenges.
Westside UU Congregation is an equal-opportunity employer committed to inclusivity and diversity. Candidates who are LGBTQIA+, Black, Indigenous or People of Color encouraged to apply.